Sunday, February 8, 2009

Bad Day

2/8/09: It was too beautiful of a weekend to have a bad day. I'll have to share from the archives...
I was at a veterinary technician conference in Fla. this past July. When the 8 hour session of pet nutrition came to a merciful end I headed for my truck and was on my way out of the parking lot of the hotel that hosted the conference. Oblivious to my surroundings and numb above the shoulders from 8 hours of "feeding the diabetic cat" in monotone, I didn't notice the police cars in the parking lot. I was the last in a line of cars trying to get through the traffic light and didn't make it. My windows were open to allow some of the Fla. heat to escape the cab of my truck therefore I immediately noticed the near collision that a huge black un-marked S.U.V. had with my truck as it zoomed past. The second vehicle of identical description came to a screeching halt next to my truck and deposited a flack jacket clad, buzz cut, gun drawn man. This gentleman proceeded to instruct me in a raised voice to "put it in park and get your head down, NOW! I obeyed these instructions. First, glancing around to realize that there were other gentlemen with bigger guns screaming at the occupants of a mini-van in the parking lot. Not good. An authoritative voice came over the radio on the shoulder of the "officer"? that had given me my instructions. This voice simply said "get rid of her now!" I became concerned about the use of the term "get rid of". However, the gentlman that was still standing at the side of my truck with one hand inside my truck and the other on a gun simply replied "traffic sir." Seconds later the officer instructed me to sit up and drive! "Do you understand me?!" he said. Oh I understood, I've never understood anything so clearly in my life. I drove.
When I got home I searched the news for some story in regards to this event...nothing. I spoke to a friend of mine on the local sherrifs dept. Nothing. I explained that these officers did not have any identifying initials on their clothing, no F.B.I, no A.T.F. no nothing. My friend suggested that I should stop looking for an explanation and be thankful that they hadn't had to get rid of me.
So maybe it wasn't such a bad day but at the time it sure felt like it qualified.

No comments:

Post a Comment