Sunday, April 12, 2009

Golden Ass, The Story of Aristomenes

4/12/09:
The witches were interesting in this chapter, I wonder if we will see more of them. It seems to me that they must have had a purpose for Socrates and Aristomenes other than just to leave one dead by a creek and the other panicking through the countryside. But...we'll see. I found that the refernce to Socrates' wife crying herself nearly blind made me immediately think of Niobe from Ovid. Since reading the Ovid passages though I find that I look see little references to all of those stories in just about everything that I'm reading. There was also the transformation of the cheating lover to Meroe that she turned into a beaver with the hopes that he will eventually chew his own testicles off...interesting. The power of the oral tradition is mentioned when he claims to have been "towed along by his ears and not his horse" to his destination.

No comments:

Post a Comment